22 (People! Places! Things!) to Look Out for in 2022

Starting off the year in the midst of a pandemic isn’t exactly ideal. However, if you want to stick to those New Year’s resolutions (unlikely) and try something new, here are a few ideas to help you out! 

New year 2021 road start

Getty Images/iStockphoto

New year 2021 road start

Kira Posner (she/her), Writer

TV Shows

1. You– Netflix has announced that season four of You is coming out soon! The release date hasn’t come yet, so it’s fair to assume that it will be at least a few months until we can jump into season four. Season three concluded with yet another twist, leaving Joe with a change of scenery for the upcoming season.
  2. Bridgerton– For those who are fans of old-timey TV shows, Bridgerton is right up your alley. It’s all about romance and drama; but still no slouch in the action department. Season two is coming out on March 25th, and, as of right now, it’s only available with a Netflix subscription .
  3. Stranger Things– Season four of Stranger Things is officially coming out in 2022. The first three seasons have had a huge fan base, and it’s one of the most popular sci-fi shows on Netflix. Over the past few years, its views have rapidly grown and the show is very popular.
  4. Euphoria- The second season of Euphoria comes out weekly on HBO Max. Viewer discretion advised: this show is not PG, kids should not be watching it. It focuses on many high school realities, and it’s very intense, but the acting is superb and the cast is really talented.

Movies

1. The Marvel Universe- There are several Marvel movies coming out in 2022, such as Wakanda Forever , Spiderman Across the Spider-Verse, Thor: Love and Thunder, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, Batman, and Doctor Strange.
  2. Scream– Scream is a classic horror movie series, and the next movie is out in theaters. Watching this in 2022 is a great idea, and if you haven’t watched the other movies in the series, just sit down and binge them all.

Concerts

1. Lorde-Moda Center,  Sunday, May 01, 7:30 pm
  2. Journey-Moda Center, Sunday, March 27th, 7:30 pm
  3. Olivia Rodrigo– Moda Center, Tuesday, April 5th, 8 pm
  4. Tyler the Creator– Moda Center, Monday, April 4th 7 pm
  5. Wallows-Sunday, April 03, 2022, McMenamin’s Crystal Ballroom, Portland
  6. Alicia Keys– Moda Center, Wednesday, August 31st, 8 pm

Hikes

1. Powell Butte Loop Trail (6.2 mi)- This trail is thickly forested, however, the upper areas of the park overlook Mt. Hood and have clearances. If you are sick of being stuck at home, this trail has beautiful scenery and fresh air.
  2. Upper Marquam Hill (2 mi)- Known for its view and flora, there are wild flowers, tons of birds, and it’s forested. It connects to other trails close by if you want a longer nature walk or hike.
  3. If you are looking for hikes farther from Portland, try out a snow hike on Mt. Hood while it‘s still cold. You could also go to the Columbia river-gorge where there’s tons of trails, fishing spots, and water activities.

Hidden Gems

1. The Vault Vintage Clothing Boutique (12604 SW Farmington Rd, Beaverton, OR) This little dress boutique in Beaverton is a great place to go with friends if you want to dress up in vintage ball gowns or black tie dresses. It’s a small business with tons of cool accessories and fabrics. There are many restaurants, antique stores and other thrift stores in the same block. Check it out!
  2. 2nd STREET Hawthorne (3735 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR)- this thrift store on Hawthorne has tons of options, it isn’t super expensive and isn’t hit or miss, it’s great to go thrifting and there are tons of other stores right nearby.
  3. CAT Thrift Store (location: 4838 SW Scholls Ferry Rd, Portland, OR) – this little store isn’t very well known, but they have a wide variety of clothes, books, jewelry, art, and yes, cat trinkets. It’s a small space but there’s plenty to look at.

Businesses

1. Indigo Traders– Indigo Traders is a pretty original store in Multnomah Village. They sell Mediterranean decor, Turkish coffee, art, and linens. People know the name but it doesn’t get the credit it deserves despite being around for a long time. The owner and employees are kind and helpful, and the products are really cool, with many local vendors producing their goods to customers.
  2. Tango Crab– This restaurant is pretty new, it hasn’t gotten many customers, and it replaced “Jade Dragon,” in hillsdale. It’s seafood and chinese, though it isn’t super popular yet, it’s worth the try, the food is great.

News/Events happening this year

1. Midterms for senate and congress– Elections (or reelections) occur every two years for ⅓ of the federal senate (consisting of 100 senators), this year on November 8th. This includes Oregon senators running for reelection.
  2. Ages 12-15 boosters are available!– Though the booster shot for Covid-19 was approved a couple weeks ago, this is very important especially for high school students and staff! It’s a good idea to  get your booster vaccine if you haven’t already so as not to put others at risk. They are available by appointment at OHSU, walk-ins at Tectonics, and pharmacies.

Hopefully by this point you’ve found something of interest. It’s always good to have something to look forward to, or plan a fun day with friends and family. This is the year to go out of your comfort zone and try something that seems fun! Enjoy!