Local Ways to Stay Cool This Summer

Olivia Mersereau, Staff Writer

Local ways to stay cool this summer

Portland Oregon is heating up and it’s just one more reminder that summer is on it’s way.  If you have been in Portland for a while, you know that the weather usually can’t be trusted, but summer is probably the one weather pattern we can rely on. Summer in Portland is hot and humid. It can be difficult to find ways to cool down, especially now when not everything is open because of the Coronavirus. It is important to make sure all of these activities are cost affordable so we can all have an awesome time this summer without having to spend a ton of money. Here is a guide of local things to do to stay cool this summer.

Take a trip to the Ida B. Wells pool.

Formerly known as the Wilson pool, the Ida B. Wells pool is a great way to beat the heat. Portland Parks and Recreation has announced that not only will the Ida B. Wells pool opened this summer, but they plan to open the other outdoor pools in the Portland area. This will occur on Tuesday, June 22nd, 2021. The pool’s admission has not been confirmed this year yet, however it is generally affordable. If you know that you will want to swim a lot this summer, the pool offers summer passes so you can get in the pool anytime you want simply by holding up a pass. In the past, the pool has also hosted movie nights and swim lessons for all age groups. The pool also offers jobs to high school students. These jobs can include lifeguarding, swim instructing, and managing the ticket and snack stand. The pool also provides training for all of these jobs. It’s a great first job for highschool students and it provides an opportunity for them to learn about what it means to work for the first time in a good environment. 

Support a local business.

One of the best ways to stay cool in the heat is to get an ice cold drink or a scoop of frozen ice cream. Hillsdale Shopping Center has tons of options. The food carts have a variety of cold and refreshing beverages and foods. You can get an ice cold boba tea from the Pad Kee Mao Thai Food cart. The food cart park has plenty of outdoor seating that welcomes everyone even if you didn’t order at the carts. It’s a great place to grab a drink or a bite after swimming or hanging out in the heat. If you’re feeling like ice cream, Dairy Hill Ice Cream is the place to go. They are currently open for business in which you can order takeout, order online, or you can just come in person and order yourself! There is no indoor seating as of right now, but there are plenty of places to sit and eat ice cream around Hillsdale. There are lots of other places to get food so walk around and look at all your options!

Take advantage of the Willamette.

The Willamette river is a great place to go to escape the beating down sun. Although it is a bit farther away from Hillsdale, the river doesn’t cost any money and it’s open 24 hours of the day. There are plenty of docks and beaches to hangout on by the river. Grab a friend with a boat and take it out on the water or rent a paddle board and enjoy a peaceful time. Make sure to have tons of fun, but be aware of how you feel in the water. If you feel tired or unsafe while swimming, go back to the shore and take a break. Just be aware of your surroundings and know your limits, then everyone will be able to have a great summer. Stay safe and stay cool!

Stay cool in your own backyard.

It’s time to go searching through your garage, attic, or storage and get out those water guns. It can be easy to overlook the fun you can have in your own neighborhood. Gather some family or friends together and play some water games. There are lots of fun things to do that incorporate water and you can do it without it costing you a dime. Even using the hose can be a great way to cool off. Get creative and think of new games to try. 

After the year we’ve had, summer feels long-awaited and it’s exciting to see things opening back up again. Hopefully this guide will help you think of a few more things to do this summer and make the most of it because you deserve it. There are lots of activities to do locally this summer so we can all keep ourselves safe, keep others safe, and make sure we can keep everything open. If you are planning on going on vacation this summer, it’s a good idea to be double vaccinated, but if you’re not, make sure to follow all the guidelines so that everyone will be safe. Also make sure to follow the rules wherever you go, because they may not be the same as the rules we have here. Be respectful, stay safe, and most importantly, have the best summer ever.